The write up from my SPC14 session (Deep Dive: REST and CSOM comparison) is posted here: http://blog.mannsoftware.com/?p=1521. I’m a little late getting this posted here (the post itself has been up for 2 weeks), but I wanted to make sure to point folks to it as I mentioned I would during the session. Also, if you’d rather watch the session recording, it is available here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/SharePoint-Conference/2014/SPC423.
So, there’s already a couple of these on the web (see here, here, and here, for example). These are all great resources to browse, but it seems to me that I’m always trying to answer one question for clients as I review these resources – what do I lose by dropping down a license level? So, with that in mind, here’s my unofficial list – note that this is strictly for on-premises licensing. I’ll get around to an online version the next time I need to address that for a client. This is based on the “official” feature matrix available here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj819267.aspx#bkmk_FeaturesOnPremise as of 9/20/2013. Click on any item to see more information about it.
So today I was doing some SharePoint 2013 app development against my Office 365 SharePoint 2013 tenant and I needed to view the HTTP traffic from the site in order to troubleshoot some issues I was having and I stumbled across something I found very interesting when I looked at the header details in Fiddler:
Today I was working on a deployment for a client which entailed activating a custom SharePoint Feature on about 1000 Site Collections. This Feature did a fair number of things and on average it takes about 10-15 minutes to complete in their test environment (which is pretty slow compared to their production environment which I’ve not yet deployed to but I expect close to a 5 minute run time per Site Collection once I go to production with it). You can obviously do the math and quickly see that it will take me somewhere around 10 days for this to complete if I did one Site Collection at a time. This is just unacceptable as I personally don’t want to be monitoring a Feature activation script for that long. What’s worse is that when I look at CPU and memory utilization on the servers I can see that they have plenty of resources so it’s not like the operation is actually taxing the system, they’re just slow operations. So the solution, for me, is pretty obvious: I need to activate these Features in parallel.