Over here in the skunk works division of our company… we’ve been busy the past few months working on some prototypes that will allow us to integrate physical data with the usefulness of SharePoint.
There was recently a twitter conversation between @cacallahan, @toddklindt, and @brianlala discussing provisioning Search on SharePoint Foundation and whether it was possible or not and somewhere during the conversation it was suggested that I might know how to do this (sorry guys for not responding immediately) – unfortunately I hadn’t actually done any work with SharePoint 2013 Foundation yet and so had not yet tried and thus didn’t know the answer (I knew there were issues and suspected a workaround was possible but I didn’t have a server built to test anything). Well, last night and today I managed to have some free time so I figured I’d take a look at the problem to see if my guess about a workaround was correct.
When SharePoint 2010 was released we had hundreds of cmdlets available for our on-premises deployments but when it came to Office365 we only had cmdlets available for manipulating our subscription details, users in AD, and Exchange Online (http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/hh125002.aspx). With the release of SharePoint 2013 as part of the Office365 offering we now have the ability to use PowerShell to manipulate our SharePoint Site Collections in the cloud. The capabilities are somewhat limited in that our abilities are limited to manipulating Site Collections, but it’s a start. In this article I’ll walk through the available cmdlets and detail some examples of how to use them.
SharePoint 2010 support for mobile devices have been limited. Simple mobile views of lists and libraries were supported by mobile browsers using a mobile redirection feature. SharePoint 2013 steps up the support for mobile devices with features to support page design, content creation and remote API improvements.
In a recent post I detailed all the PowerShell changes from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013 Public Preview (part 1, part 2) – well, apparently I should have held off a couple of weeks because I’m now running the RTM version of SharePoint 2013 and have found that they have made a ton more changes. I don’t want to go through all the 2010 to 2013 changes again so instead I’ll just detail what has changed since the Public Preview; these changes include new cmdlets, removed cmdlets, and renamed cmdlets. (Note that some of the removed and new cmdlets may actually just be renamed cmdlets – not worth the effort for to verify them all at this point).